31 Jul

We set off on the first leg of the trip to Cumbria and headed for the little lay-by next to the canal at Knottingley, near Doncaster. There was a bit more litter this time and as the evening came so did the youths with their crossers and mopeds. They didn't cause us any trouble but we didn't feel as safe this time and decided that we wouldn't use this spot again, especially at this time of year.

After a dog walk in the morning we set off on our next leg of the journey towards Whitby on the east coast and parked up in a large lay-by on the cliffs at Sandsend.

We walked into the town along the beach to The Hart pub where we had a pint in the gardens.

After a good night's sleep we woke up to the sound of crashing waves on the beach below us.

Once 'D' was walked and we had had break fast we set off on the third leg of our trip. The south Yorkshire dales!

We left Sandsend and headed for the north Yorkshire dales and our third nights stop over. We had planned to stay off grid in a car park but when we arrived the spaces were not as big as was described in the 'Park4night' app and we decided to move around the corner to the local rugby club where there was a caravan and camping club rally.


We got settled in Settle and walked into town for a browse and a pint! There was a flower pot festival being held and everyone seemed to be in competition with their neighbour.


We spent a nice evening in The Golden Lion taking in the warmth and the good ale followed by a large malt and Gin respectively. In the morning, after emptying and filling the necessary tanks we set off on the 4th leg heading for Lancaster Aldi to meet up with Jenny and Rob and to stock up with provisions.


Once our larder and fridge were full and we were sure that we had enough booze to see us through to Cumbria we set off in convoy with Jenny and Rob. As we got closer to the lakes the roads got narrower and more windy.

The shot below was taken from Jenny's car.

* The email will not be published on the website.